Phoenix Dental Bridge
A dental bridge is the conventional way to replace a missing tooth. Phoenix implant dentist Dr. Arthur Chal will do a dental bridge, if that is the best treatment for you. Other options include a dental implant and a removable partial denture. A removable partial is definitely a less desirable option and is generally recommended as a temporary tooth replacement only.
In this procedure, the teeth on either side of the missing tooth are ground down somewhat for dental crowns. A precise impression is taken of your mouth, and a laboratory fabricates a crown for each adjoining tooth, with a false tooth suspended between them. See the diagram below to visualize how this works.Advantages of a dental bridge:
- It does not require any surgery.
- Almost any dentist can perform the treatment—it doesn’t require any specialized training. Doing implants requires special expertise on the part of the dentist*.
- If the teeth on either side are healthy, they still have to be fitted for crowns, which seems a shame. When you have healthy, intact teeth, placing full dental crowns on them seems like a radical procedure.
- Even though it is cemented in your mouth, it still is possible for it to become loose at some future time.
- Once the teeth on either side are ground down for crowns, you are committed to maintaining those teeth for the rest of your life. If there is later a problem with any of those teeth, you will need a complete new bridge.
- *Dr. Arthur Chal is a fellow of the International College of Oral Implantologists, and is recognized around the world as an expert in dental implants.
You may be interested in reading about Jennifer’s Zirconia Bridge Story and seeing photographs of Dr. Chal’s beautiful work.